Arlington Family Lawyer

Contempt of Court

Over the course of your divorce proceedings, you and your spouse probably had to come to agreements about property division, child custody, alimony, and many other important matters. Once the divorce is final, you are both expected to abide by those agreements. Failure to comply can be considered “contempt of court,” and can lead to serious consequences.

If you are unsatisfied with any terms you originally agreed to during your divorce, or if your financial situation has changed and made it impossible to keep up with child support or alimony payments, the correct thing to do is to file for a modification of court orders. Unfortunately, whether out of anger or spite, many people simply refuse to comply with orders. If your ex-spouse is withholding your payments, you have the right to take him or her to court for contempt to face penalties ranging from wage garnishment to jail time.

On the other hand, you may be held in contempt for what amounts to a misunderstanding or a very real change in your circumstances that has not yet been resolved. In this case, you need an attorney who can fight to defend you against these charges.

Our Arlington Family Attorney Will Protect Your Rights

When contempt issues arise after a divorce, you need an attorney who will fight hard to protect your rights. Our Arlington family lawyers have years of experience representing clients in all aspects of Texas family law, including post-divorce matters such as contempt of court and order modifications. Whether you are pressing charges, fighting charges, or just have questions about contempt of court, contact us and schedule a free consultation with a top Arlington family lawyer today.