Modification of Child Support

Your children mean the world to you. Even if you don’t hold primary custody of your children, you do the best you can for them in the form of child support. Sometimes, however, the original child support arrangement you agreed to is no longer manageable. When this happens, talk to an Arlington family lawyer as soon as possible—you may be eligible for a modification of child support.

Lives change every day. If you recently lost your job, child support payments can quickly become impossible to keep up with. If your ex-spouse remarries or otherwise comes into a significant financial change, your current child support payments may become unfair. Once your children are old enough to take care of themselves, payments are wholly unnecessary. No matter what your particular circumstances are, your best plan of action is to seek a legal modification of child support.

Some opt to simply pay less—or stop paying altogether. This is the worst thing you could do. Your spouse could have you charged with contempt of court in this situation. If you are convicted, you are subject to heavy penalties from fines to wage garnishment to even jail time. By contacting a good Arlington family lawyer and going through the proper legal channels, on the other hand, you can come to a new agreement that can satisfy your spouse, the court, and most importantly you.

Arlington’s Family Lawyer

You need to do what is right for your children and right for you, and a good lawyer can help. Our Arlington family lawyers have years of experience representing clients in all aspects of Texas family law, including court order and settlement modifications regarding child support and child custody. To discuss your options for Texas child support modification, contact us and schedule a free consultation with a top Arlington family lawyer today.